Thursday, March 3, 2011

Video Review: Sculpture, Glass & Ceramics, Installation.

I've finished watching the videos "Through the Eyes of a Sculptor", "Glass and Ceramics", and "Installation Art" and these are my thoughts:
I found the video on sculpting informative. I found it interesting to see the complexity involved in completing the marble statue. It's a very elaborate process that included many people with different specialized skills. The process of trying to find the right piece of marble was particularly interesting. Overall, it showed that the process of creating the statue was as much a technical endeavor as an artistic one. The information in the video also gave examples that related to the reading this week. It showed how the process of creating the statue included clay modeling, plaster casting and final stone carving, all topics in chapter eleven.
I also enjoyed the video on glass and ceramics. I like glass work and the video enhanced my appreciation of the process involved. The making of the stain glass windows is another example, like the sculpture video, of how much goes into the creation of certain works of art. The general perception may be that artworks are created by a solitary artist. The videos showed that this is not the always the case. Sometimes many people with different skill sets are needed to complete a work of art. This video also supplemented  this weeks readings by showing first hand what goes into glass and ceramic creation, both of which are topics in chapter twelve.
The third video on Installation art was my least favorite. the concept of three dimensional art that encompasses large areas is interesting but I didn't find most of the examples shown very appealing. The only one I did like was the rotating section of the building.
All the videos were very informative and for the most part left me with a greater appreciation for the amount of work that goes into these creations.

No comments:

Post a Comment